Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Legend #Captainfantastic

Always leading from the Front!
Name; Brian Odongo
Age; 28
Home location; Mutungo
Date of Birth; 29th April 1988
Place of Birth;  Ojul, Oyam district.
Primary School; St Kizito Primary School,                                  Bugolobi
Secondary School; Olevel-SMACK
                                 Alevel- NGO
University; Makerere University (Bachelor of                     Science in Electrical Engineering)
Profession: Electrical Engineer
Weight; 118KG
Height; 6’0”
Position; 15s  - prop tight head - 3
Total UG Cranes 15s CAPS; 31
Clubs Played for;  KOBS (8yrs)
Other sports; Soccer




Brian Odongo aka Captain fantastic started playing Rugby as a teenager at St. Mary's College Kisubi. After his brother Steven Ogwete tortured the SMACK rugby team while Captain at Makerere College School, MACOS, Brian decided from then on that he would be second to none
From then on, Brian has never known life without rugby and he continues to find new ways to love the game even move than he already does. Mediocrity does not sit well with him and that explains his continuous success on the club and national level. Its inconceivable to him to be second. 

GAME TIME for Brian Odongo aka Captain Fantastic aka Dege aka BOD ... the list goes on!

As a player he takes a very smart approach to the sport but he still has the primitive instincts of a beast. Watch out when you have to face Brian Odongo because he lets nothing stop him. So if you are in his way, he is going to move you out of his way! He is what you would literally call a force to be reckoned with. He makes his presence known on the field and will do whatever it takes to beat his opponent at their own game. His focus to continuously work on his efficiency is one of  the qualities that is uniquely him.  Only an electrical engineer would think about his body like a machine which has to be working at a high efficiency to optimize production. 

"A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way."
Kimbowa Collins and Oscar Kalyango Bakojja in the background and of-course Captain fantastic leading his team from the front.

But we cant talk Brian Odongo, without talking about leadership. He is a born leader. As the current Captain for the Uganda National Rugby Cranes 15s team and former KOBS Team Captain as well as longest serving made captain in the club's history, Brian leads by example not by words. The Rugby Cranes could not have chosen a better person let alone rugby player to lead them in their various pursuits. He spends less time giving instructions and more time showing exactly what he expects of his teammates which is unwavering dedication to the team and heart for the sport. He leaves everything on the field because there is no room for excuses once off the field. Every game played by Brian Odongo is a well fought battle and if you have ever wondered whether or not he brings his top game, the real question you should be asking is when doesn't he bring his A game?

Well I bet we all are anxious to read about Brian Odongo. He seems to be the guy that never gets talked about in detail. Well this time he had to spill the secrets. Brace yourself for some giggles because Captain fantastic thinks he has got jokes.

What got you started: I was inspired by my brother, Steven Ogwete, who played rugby 6 years before I did on the National team and KOBS Rugby Club. The passion Steven had for the game is what drew me to play. I vividly remember Steven terrorizing the SMACK rugby team while he played at Makerere College. Being aggressive children, I think rugby was the sport that suited me and him.

What is your biggest accomplishment in your sports? Winning Elgon Cup in 2012 and 2015 (As Captain).  I have always said anything done on the National Scene beats all other achievements. For the 2012 game, I remember all the coaching stuff being under immense pressure after our 1st Leg victory in Kampala. We knew the task that lay in wait; and since we had lost on so many occasions with handsome first leg wins, it was always going to be a hard game. We traveled much earlier this time and the then Head Coach Yayiro Kasasa tried as much as possible to keep us calm and not dwell so much on the game. We spent most of the time in team bonding activities which helped reduce the pressure on the team. On game day we held meetings and I remember Mathias Ochwo (Captain), Alex Mubiru, Michael Okorach and I being called for a short meeting to partly strategise but also to ensure that the whole team was geared up for the game. So in summary I say the build up to the game made it a special win for us (Even though we lost the match itself).
As the captain, the 2015 Elgon Cup win is also special for me as it was my first piece of silverware for the national team and definitely not the last.

What things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success? Putting in the hard work and personal effort in training. Paying attention to basic skills of passing as well as focusing on accuracy in training.

KOBS vs. Heathens (Hugest and oldest rivalry in Ugandan Rugby)

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Retired from Rugby probably but helping out in any capacity whether in coaching or management. Married and progressing in my Engineering career.

How do you set your goals? I set smart realistic goals. SMART being Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. This is the basis for me in life too.

What is your biggest challenge, and what do you do to manage this challenge? It would have to be my injuries. At times I am rested for my knee (because I start to get a niggle). Also a lack of time for practice. I try my best to train whenever I can especially with my busy work schedule. However when I train I put in all my effort so that when I cannot make it, I don’t miss much.

What is your diet like? Contrary to popular belief about props, I do not eat that much food; Brian Asaba (explains the killer tackles!), Marvin Odongo (he is 6’3” what do you expect?) and Joseph Aredo (there literally is no explanation, he just loves his food) eat way more than I do.
I for the most part eat Protein and carbs. I focus on eating white meat and try to avoid all red meat. I also eat a lot of fish to make up for the protein deficit of choosing not to eat beef.

What 1-2 things do you believe differentiates you from your contemporaries? I try to use as much of my brain in the game as I can. I guess it’s easier to negotiate your way past a wall than to try and knock it down.

Beast mode - Brian Odongo (KOBS vs. Rhinos)

Do you have any recommended resources to (books, websites, and coaches) your teammates?
I am not that much into books; wait I actually do not read books so I would not be in position to make references. Unless one is interested in Electrical Engineering books which really is my passion.

Have you experienced a breakthrough, and if so, what led to it? At club level it definitely is being the made captain for 6 Years which is the longest period in the 54 year history of the club. I also managed to bag the USPA Male Rugby player of the year award in 2012 so that too. Finally, getting a chance to take part in the 2019 Rugby World Cup qualifiers and to be honest we stand a good chance of qualification.

What was the best advice you were ever given?
Eng. Richard Cong, (Brian Odongo's dad).





This came from my Dad,

“Brian you are brilliant but you do not work hard. Please put in extra effort and the world shall be at your feet.”










From Fred Mudoola: “Self-pity doesn’t get you anywhere in life and rugby.” From Adrian Bukenya: “Believe in yourself and your teammates shall believe in you.” From Myself: "Don’t do something to be second best. Do something to excel at it."

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by? Count me different but I do not actually live by a motto. That ties u down and u end up breaking and mending the motto all the time.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
My family; They have taught me the value of hard work, precision and efficiency.
Steven Ogwete, Pius and Brian Odongo (L-R) All three brothers.

Fred Mudoola, Kenneth Mutabarukka, Brian Makalama; They epitomized front row B in Uganda.

My Club chairman at KOBS Adrian Bukenya who had belief in me when I was young (he actually started the name BOD) although I have to say that him and my brother were the hardest individuals to captain as they are on-field bullies.

 I also draw inspiration from all my teammates both at club and national team level.
#SQUAD (KOBS Rugby Club)

And then finally from Psalm 121.


What do you do outside of Rugby? Work, going to the cinema, hanging out with family and friends.

What would you have done had you not become a rugby star? A Rugby coach I guess, although being a fan is not that bad after all.

Anything else you’d like to share? I guess this the part where you want to know about my private life; relationships and all, I shall pass. In 5 years’ time, the answer to this segment will be known.


SWELLERS!!!! Kimbowa Collins, Brian Odongo and Mutebi Adnan (L-R) #frontrow

We at 256 thought since Brian didn't have anything else to share, that it would be fun to spotlight the only bromance that rivals Joseph Aredo and Marvin Odongo, and that is Oscar Kalyango and Brian Odongo. These two might be cut from the same cloth who knows. They are inseparable and that explains why Oscar is following almost exactly in Brian's footsteps. 


Brian Odongo and Oscar Kalyango, Club and Team Captain KOBS (L-R)
Bros that drink together!!! 


As Kalyango would put it, "Getting orders from above - from Captain Fantastic"

Finally, often we refer to people as legends once they retire but rarely do we do so while they are still very much in the game. Well Ugandan Rugby is blessed to have in its midst a legend that never ceases to amaze. Brian Odongo is one of the rare talents just like Fred Mudoola who when they finally hang up their boots, you immediately feel the vacuum. He deserves to have his number retired because there is never going to be another player like Brian Odongo. Easy going, chill personality with an even bigger heart and a love so deep for rugby. Brian Odongo to this day continues to leave his mark on Ugandan rugby, 8 years at KOBS and he is still terrorizing so many teams on the field. 
Steven Ogwete, special thanks go out to you for bullying your brother into the legend we know today! You did such a great job! You deserve an award of some sort! Brian's dad, Engineer Richard Cong only you would call Brian out for not working hard and the rugby community thanks you. 

KOBS "Big Boys Dont Cry" #Barbedwire
To all young players out there, especially the ones that hope to one day play with Captain fantastic, take time to talk to this guy. Go grab drinks or something. Because he has a wealth of wisdom and knowledge especially about how to juggle your passion and your profession. He loves his profession its undeniable however he loves Rugby just as much. The fact that he has made these two crazy schedules work for all these years and has still managed to be exceptional at both says a lot about him as an individual. He has to be doing something right. So make the most of his love to talk to people and get some wisdom from the Ugandan Captain Fantastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment